Today we did an investigation to find out if different substances were soluble in room temperature water.We tested with baking powder, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, packing peanuts, alum, alka seltzer, colored sugar (blue), pepper,m&m's, and salt. Some substances had surprising outcomes ,like the packing peanuts a lot of people thought they wouldn't dissolve but they did. Everyone had a partner and they worked together to find the results of the investigation.
-Kiki Claxton & London Blumberg
Today we worked for the second time with our kindergarten science buddies. The fifth graders had a great time sharing their knowledge of force, motion, friction, and inertia with their partners. Groups built ramps of varying inclines and helped their little buddies hypothesis about the differences they would see in the speed and travel distance of the marble. Fifth graders practiced identifying the variable and controls in the experiment, as well as incorporating and providing simple explanations for our unit vocabulary. They were super awesome teachers!
Students continued to experiment with potential and kinetic energy by releasing a marble at increasing positions along a ramp. The resulting force was measured by using the change in position of a paper dragon. Students reflected upon gravity's role in the marble moving down the ramp. An additional investigation occurred when we changed the size of the marble and compared the relative forces.
Following classroom discussions and demonstrations of mechanical energy and the conversion from potential to kinetic energy, students were able to experience this energy transformation first hand and --- shoot rubber bands! Student pairs took turns launching a rubber band off of a ruler at increasing stretch distances. The travel distance for each shoot was measured and recorded in a data table. Students conducted repeated trials for each distance and we discussed how this practice increased the reliability of our data. After calculating the averages of each stretch length, students graphed their data and looked for trends. We also tied in the elements of experimental design and labeled our variable and our controls. The discussion that followed this hands-on lab was very impressive.